We’ve been preparing for this conference since since the fall and oh, was it worth it. I had a blast! Not only with the sessions, parties, but simply hanging out with 3900+ incredibly cool people (with 500 on the waiting list) and taking about our passion…. SharePoint!
The Keynotes by Bill Gates, Jeff Teper, and Kurt Delbene included some Awesome stats… (Numbers added to simplify for non U.S. math and term confusion.)
- 1 Billion (yeah with a B! $1,000,000,000 USD) in revenue
- 100 Million CALs (100,000,000) by end of fical year June 30 (this is estimated to be 10% of all PCs, not just business PCs)
- 500 Million Licensed Office PCs (1/5th of that total licensed for SharePoint, but that number includes consumer PCs… makes you wonder if it’s more like 40-50% of business PCs.)
- 3/4 of the Fortune 100 that’s 75% of Fortune 100 companies
- Fastest growing server product in Microsoft History (maybe in any company ever?)
- 2250+ SharePoint ISVs (integrated solutions vendor)
(Photo courtesy Chandima SharePoint MVP)
The Solution Accelerators demo’ed very well. Tom did an excellent job, even if he did over sell them 🙂 just kidding. He did a great job. If you have followed my previous posts you’d see I’ve worked closely on all of them. I’ll provide more info on the extranet or external collab one in a future post. I’m trying to get them to decouple the workflow provisioning and approval site collection piece from the user management and ADAM with FBA piece.
SharePoint Capacity Planning Tool
Performance models for Microsoft Office SharePoint Server (MOSS) 2007 and Windows SharePoint Services (WSS) 3.0 that use the analysis and simulation features of Microsoft System Center Capacity Planner 2007 to help you plan your SharePoint topology.
SharePoint Monitoring Toolkit
Helps you monitor and manage Microsoft SharePoint environments by providing a set of management packs for Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 and Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (including SP1). These management packs are supported by both System Center Operations Manager 2007 and System Center Essentials.
SharePoint Cross-site Configurator
This tool contains sample code that you can use to automate the deployment of configuration changes across SharePoint site collections as broadly as entire web applications or even entire farms.
External Collaboration Toolkit
It consists of software and guidance that will help you to deploy a customizable solution built on Microsoft® Windows® SharePoint® Services 3.0 or Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 that teams can use to collaborate securely with partners outside the firewall. The toolkit’s familiar SharePoint interface makes the solution easy for project team members to understand and use.
The SharePoint Online beta (register now) announcement was well received. I think heard a few customers wheels spinning on that one. The best way to understand this amongst the other SharePoint hosted offerings is to look at the various offerings.
Office Live (this one is released)- Small Business Site Collection Hosting (Consider this the site collection hosting)
SharePoint Online Standard beta – SharePoint (in the Cloud) hosting (I’d consider this the multi tenant hosting solution) (up to 5000 users)
SharePoint Online Dedicated Hosting beta – Dedicated SharePoint Farms in MS data centers with 99.9% SLAs and integration with AD resource forest, Exchange and OCS. (This internally use to be called MMS (Microsoft Managed Services) now the team is BOSG (Business Online Services Group)) (5000 users and up). I worked with Mike Watson and Kimberly Malone amongst others to design the SharePoint hosting for the pilot with Energizer. Good times :)..
A couple of my sessions were top rated. Let me thank those of you who went to my Upgrade session and my Governance session. I really appreciate all the 9’s and nice comments. I do read them and really appreciate them. Thanks to Shane and Brian who co-spoke with me on those. Bob Fox’s presentation with me… well ok. It was fun to present. The comment I got from the users that they thought we were both drunk wasn’t very nice, and wasn’t accurate. I was drinking lemonade the night before, so it couldn’t have been me. Bob did a great job for his first time and I’m sure he gained some new fans as a result. He has a lot of knowledge and he had a lot of pressure leading up to this. Under the circumstances he did well. I’ll leave it to your comment to set the story straight. I enjoyed the session even if it wasn’t one of the top rated. I got feedback from more than a couple people in the crowd who thoroughly enjoyed it.
My Session Downloads (may require SPC login):
Governance: From Chaos to Success in 10 Steps – Joel Oleson and Brian Cook
What’s New in Windows Server 2008 and SQL 2008 for SharePoint Admins – Joel Oleson and Bob Fox
Upgrading from SPS 2003 to MOSS 2007 – Joel Oleson and Shane Young
Advanced Administrative Architecture, Deployment and Operations – Joel Oleson and Shane Young
By Margie Semilof, Senior News Director, 05 Mar 2008 | SearchWinIT.com
One other thing to add to your favorites and dig into is the new adoption, planning content, engineering, release and adopt to GEAR UP!
Also, be sure to check out Microsoft Search Server Express 2008 general availability announced during the keynote! Developers and more will want to look at the SharePoint Silverlight Blueprint which definitely promises to make the UI much more exciting and rich.
Relevant Partner Announcements you shouldn’t miss as an IT Pro:
- AvePoint Announces the Release of a Revolutionary Product for Global Control and Administration of Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (.doc file, 863 KB)
- Barracuda, LLC, Announces DeliverPoint: PERMISSIONS for Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 and Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 (.doc file, 28 KB)
- echoTechnology Announces echo for SharePoint 2007 (.doc file, 32 KB)
- Nintex Announces Nintex Reporting 2008 for Microsoft SharePoint Products and Technologies (.doc file, 35 KB)
- NSE Announces Release of eSENSE Bridge V3 to Manage, Monitor and Protect Entire Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 Environments (.doc file, 38 KB)
- Syntergy Announces Replicator Add-On, Presentation Publisher, for Further Enhancing Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (.doc file, 34 KB)